Science Writer Job Description
Get the Science Writer job description template we used to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Learn how Workello helps content teams hire higher quality, more affordable writers with less effort.
Science Writer Job Description Template
We are looking for an experienced and motivated Science Writer that will be in charge of producing diverse content directed at our target audience.
You will be working closely with our team of Science Writers on identifying and writing scientific articles backed by stats and hard evidence, including references and scientific sources. Your writing should be accurate and fact-driven but also accessible for a general audience of science enthusiasts.
The chosen candidate will research and draft articles intended for our digital publications, as well as create posts for our social media platforms. This is a remote role, so the ideal candidate must also be open to flexible working hours and able to keep in touch with his colleagues via online channels.
To fully excel in this role, our ideal candidate should be a team player, excellent communicator, and adept at organizational skills. Experience with work management tools like Basecamp and Teamwork is a plus.
- Writing research-based content to discuss scientific trends, breakthroughs, and news
- Finding opportunities for interviewing leading local science figures
- Proofing and applying Editor’s changes before publishing
- Conducting reference searches
- Work with our online team to organize, write, and edit the content on our website
- Researching specialist media and literature, press releases and internal resources
You may also be asked to:
- Occasionally attend scientific conferences and events to learn about scientific breakthroughs
- Visit research establishments
- Plan content calendar with our Content Team Leads and Editors
- Bachelor’s degree in Sciences, Journalism, Communications, or English
- At least 4 years experience in science-writing
- Capacity to analyze scientific data and present it in a clear, coherent manner that is understandable to a broader audience
- Capability to coordinate and multitask various activities and prioritize certain tasks to meet deadlines
- A history of taking part in scientific organizations and teams
- Authoring and managing the production of scientific documents
- Keeping up-to-date on scientific breakthroughs
- The ability to recognize a hot topic and proactively present it to our audience
- Ability to manage deadlines and quality of work with good organizational and interpersonal skills in a diverse team
- Expertise in Office Suite
Salary Ranges for a Science Writer
Salaries for Science Writers vary wildly based on the candidate’s location, industry, experience, level of education, employment relationship, and the exact scope of requirements.
Here’s how the average annual salary of a Science Writer varies across the top U.S. cities, according to Glassdoor:
City Entry-Level Median Top 10%
San Francisco, CA $68K $104K $160K
New York, NY $61K $84K $116K
Seattle, WA $60K $86K $124K
Dallas, TX $51K $71K $98K
Los Angeles, CA $65K $84K $110K
Austin, TX $44K $72K $118K
Atlanta, GA $60K $83K $115K
How To Customize Your Science Writer Job Ad To Attract Top Talent For Your Company
To create a Science Writer job ad that stands out in the sea of others and attracts highly-qualified candidates, bear in mind the following “three commandments” of a good job ad:
- Be super-specific when writing your job description
- Outline your own benefits and compensation plan
- Detail your company’s core values, mission and goals
You should also be aware of similarly named job titles denoting their own set of requirements and responsibilities.
- Scientific Writer— A role that consists of a more technical type of reporting on science, usually written in the form of a paper or a study by a scientist for an audience of their peers. Science and Nature publish examples of scientific writing.
Similar Roles To Science Writer
Check out the table below for job description templates for roles similar to Science Writer. If your company is planning to hire people within similar or related roles, this resource may help you accelerate the process.
- Research Writer
- Research Analyst
- Scientific Editor
- Academic Journal Editor
- Medical Copywriter
- Medical Writer
- Technical Writer
- Technical Science Writer
- Associate Medical Writer
- Medical Writer Remote
Check out our job description templates for every role on your content team.
Our Favorite Science Writer Job Descriptions
Here are some effective science writer job description examples that may help you embellish your job ad:
- California State University – Science/Research Writer
- Science Writer – Stanford University School of Medicine
- Science Writer – Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
Hire Qualified Science Writers Faster
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Political Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.