Technical Writer Job Description
Here’s the Technical Writer job description template we used to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Copy the automated hiring funnel we built to find and hire better, more affordable writers—at scale.
- Salary Ranges for Technical Writers
- How To Customize Your Job Description To Get the Technical Writer You Need
- Similar Roles to Technical Writer
- Our Favorite Technical Writer Job Descriptions
- Hiring Better, More Affordable Technical Writers
- Want More Content About Creating Content?
Technical Writer Job Description Template
We are searching for a Technical Writer who can create high-quality documentation that is easy to understand for non-technical users. You will need to develop product manuals, user guides, website FAQs, and other technical content with accuracy and clarity. You will be working with a team of writers and will be responsible for writing, editing, and reviewing technical content.
Your responsibilities as a Technical Writer include:
- Create, review, and revise technical documentation, such as guides, system operations documents, user manuals, etc.
- Obtain a deep understanding of products and services to translate complex product information into simple, polished, and engaging content
- Research on the subject matter before writing on specialized topics
- Work with subject matter experts to understand the content requirements
- Edit and update the existing technical content
- Develop and maintain detailed database of appropriate reference materials, including research, usability tests, and design specifications
The candidate must:
- Have a degree in English, Communications, or any related field
- Have more than 2 years of experience in Technical Writing
- Produce content with less than 5% plagiarism
- Be able to quickly learn and understand complex technical concepts and translate them into engaging content that is easy to understand for non-technical audiences
- Able to proofread and edit content with minimal supervision
Salary Ranges for Technical Writers
Salary ranges for Technical Writers vary based on different factors, such as their education, qualifications, and location. According to Glassdoor, here is how the average annual salary of a Technical Writer differs in the United States:
|San Francisco, CA||$58,000||$86,000||$128,000|
|New York, NY||$46,000||$71,000||$108,000|
|Los Angeles, CA||$45,000||$65,000||$94,000|
|Tampa Bay, FL||$44,000||$62,000||$86,000|
How To Customize Your Job Description To Get the Technical Writer You Need
While generic job description templates are available for all jobs, you should customize your job description to the exact position you’re hiring for. Accurately describing the responsibilities of the position and the required skill set to be successful in the role will help you:
- Save time going through the candidates’ resumes because fewer unqualified people will apply if you are precise about the responsibilities and requirements
- Attract better candidates that are more likely to be a perfect fit for the job
- Ensure that the candidates know exactly what the job entails
Writing a tailor-made job description can also help distinguish the skills and qualifications required since there are many similar writing roles, as mentioned below:
- Scientific Technical Writer—They are focused on creating technical documents including journals, articles, and manuals on scientific topics
- Engineering Technical Writer—These writers transform complex and specialized engineering-related information into easy-to-understand content for end-users
- Software Technical Writer—They create and maintain high-quality documentation, such as user manuals and user documentation for software
Similar Roles to Technical Writer
In case a Technical Writer is not what you’re looking for, check out the table below to get job description templates for similar roles:
- Senior writer
- Technical Writer Intern
- Technical Writer for Healthcare
- Technical Writing Consultant
- Technical Writing Manager
- Quality Assurance Technical Writer
- SEO writer
- Senior Technical Writer
- Junior Technical Writer
Are you looking for more writing roles? Check out our complete list of job description templates to fill any role in your content team!
Our Favorite Technical Writer Job Descriptions
The best way to present your company is by creating a unique job ad. Here are some technical writer job description examples you can review to get inspiration and find ways to stand out:
Hiring Better, More Affordable Technical Writers
- Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Political Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.