Research Writer Job Description
Use the Research Writer job description template we built to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Building a content team? Join the largest Content Ops community (3,000+ members) on the internet.
- Salary Ranges for Research Writers
- How To Go Beyond the Template and Write the Perfect Research Writer Job Ad
- Similar Roles to Research Writers
- Get More Research Writer Job Descriptions Inspiration
- Hiring Better, More Affordable Research Writers
- Want More Content About Creating Content?
Research Writer Job Description Template
We are looking for a Research Writer who is capable of conducting in-depth research on different subjects, presenting complex information in lay terminology, and writing informative and engaging content pieces adapted to our target audiences. Our ideal candidate has significant experience in [subject matter], a natural storytelling ability, and the skill to explain and use complex (scientific) data to create articles and blog posts attractive to the general readership.
- Research and write a variety of long-form content pieces (mainly blog posts and articles for our website) as scheduled in our content calendar
- Proofread and edit technical documents, presentation materials, and brochures
- Collaborate with the design team to support written content with creative and engaging graphic ideas
- Assist in creating content series templates and establishing standard operating procedures
- Compile, summarize, and present scientific data in reports, documents, and case studies
- Provide writing training, assistance, and clarifications on the subject matter to junior staff
- Master’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism, [subject matter area] or another relevant field
- [XY] years of experience as a Research Writer (or a similar role)
- Excellent English skills
- Impeccable writing and proofreading skills
- Strong ability to present complex information as easy-to-understand and attention-grabbing stories
- Thorough understanding of the industry-specific terminology
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Experience with the most popular content management systems (WordPress, Joomla, Wix, etc.) is a plus
Salary Ranges for Research Writers
Salary ranges for Research Writers vary depending on numerous factors, including work experience, certifications, and area of expertise. Here’s how the average annual salary of a Research Writer can differ in several major U.S. cities, according to Glassdoor:
City Entry-Level Top 10%
San Francisco, CA $68,000 $160,000
New York, NY $61,000 $116,000
Seattle, WA $60,000 $124,000
Dallas, TX $51,000 $98,000
Los Angeles, CA $62,000 $104,000
Austin, TX $44,000 $118,000
Atlanta, GA $60,000 $115,000
How To Go Beyond the Template and Write the Perfect Research Writer Job Ad
If you aren’t certain how to write a job description that represents the role you’re hiring for perfectly, the best tip that we can share is—be specific and detailed.
Analyze the needs of your writing team, define the tasks this position should entail in your company, and think about what skills your ideal candidate possesses.
You can customize and improve your Research Writer job ad by specifying the following:
- Number of words the Research Writer will need to submit daily
- Any deadlines the writer will be expected to meet—daily, weekly, or monthly
- Certifications/degrees the candidate should have
- Years of experience as a Research Writer or in a similar role
Similar Roles to Research Writers
Is a Research Writer not the only open position you want to hire for? In that case, you can use our ready-made templates to hire more qualified writing staff hassle-free. You can steer clear of any ambiguities when drafting your job ad by consulting the table below and getting the exact job description template for the specific writer you want to recruit:
- Research Analyst Writer
- Science Writer
- Business Writer
- Quality Assurance Technical Writer
- Political Writer
- Content Quality Analyst
- Course Writer
- Content Review Analyst
- Senior Writer
- Content Writer
- SEO Writer
- Magazine Writer
- Technical Writer
- Blog Writer
- Development Writer
- Policy Writer
Get More Research Writer Job Descriptions Inspiration
If you need more help with tailoring your Research Writer job description, you can always take a look at other ads companies use to recruit for similar roles. You can find a few excellent job description examples on the websites listed below:
Hiring Better, More Affordable Research Writers
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Senior Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.