Planning Editor Job Description
Use the Planning Editor job description template we built to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Building a content team? Join the largest Content Ops community (3,000+ members) on the internet.
Planning Editor Job Description Template
We are looking for an experienced Planning Editor who will be in charge of organizing daily news coverage, developing story ideas, and covering special events for our company remotely.
The ideal candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Communication, Journalism, or a similar field of study. To be considered for the role, you must demonstrate experience in managing an editorial team.
The person we hire will be expected to coordinate immediate and long-term content coverage with our team of editors and writers. You will collaborate with managers to create coverage schedules and develop distinct content guidelines across all our digital platforms.
Your day-to-day scope of duties will include producing special segments based on the assigned news channel, developing, writing, and editing news stories, and directing coverage.
If you join our organization, aside from compensation, you’ll also receive [list benefits].
- Work remotely with our on-site reporters to set up future stories
- Collaborate with managers to align coverage schedules and develop writing gudielines
- Plan daily and weekly coverage
- Collect story ideas from producers and reporters
- Edit written articles and scripts
- Track website and social media sources
- Coordinate big stories coverage
- Develop sources within PR representatives and government agencies
- Stay up-to-date with city Government agendas for story ideas
- Deliver a daily news coverage strategy one week in advance
- Follow up on ongoing stories
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Communication, Journalism, or related field
- 3+ years of experience as a Planning Editor or a similar position
- Proven experience of managing editorial teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication and news writing skills
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas and solutions
- Adaptability, initiative, and enthusiasm in regards to problem-solving
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities remotely
Salary Ranges for Planning Editor
The Planning Editor salary ranges vary significantly based on a variety of factors. These factors can include an employee’s experience, company size and location, contract length, employment type, and so on.
Check out the average salaries for Planning Editors across the United States, according to Glassdoor:
|San Francisco, CA||$44,000||$69,000||$111,000|
|New York, NY||$43,000||$68,000||$111,000|
|Los Angeles, CA||$35,000||$60,000||$105,000|
|Tampa Bay, FL||$31,000||$49,000||$77,000|
Don’t Just Copy the Job Description Template—Adapt It to Your Needs
Treat our job description template as a starting point for your job ad. Before you can post your job description online, you need to adapt our template slightly so that it fits your company’s needs.
Writing a job description requires you to go into detail about the position you’re offering. You need to be specific about the requirements candidates must fulfill and the responsibilities that come with the role.
Doing so will help you reduce the number of unqualified applicants significantly. The more detailed you get with your description, the more unqualified candidates will get dissuaded from applying for a role they will clearly fail to land.
Your job description should also include a list of benefits that come with the job to attract the best candidates and make them choose your company over someone else’s.
If your position feels different from other job descriptions with the same title, consider changing the title to a similar role so that it becomes clear what exactly you’re looking for.
Similar Roles to Planning Editor
Have a look at our job description templates for roles similar to Planning Editor if you’re looking to expand your organization with these positions:
- Demand Planning Analyst
- Brand Planner
- Digital Media Planner
- Marketing Planner
- Managing Editor
- Creative Planner
- Marketing Strategic Planner
- Digital Art Editor
- Editorial Assistant Job Description
- Editorial Manager
You can use Workello’s job description templates for every role you need to hire for your content team.
Get More Planning Editor Job Descriptions Inspiration
The best way to communicate your company’s unique value propositions to potential employees is by replicating other successful companies’ job ads for similar roles.
Check out Planning Editor job description examples to inspire you to write the killer job ad and attract the best candidates:
Hire Planning Editors the Right Way
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Political Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.