Writer Job Description Template
We are looking for a creative, detail-oriented writer to create relevant, valuable, informative, and engaging content on a variety of topics in [list niches/specify industry]. You will join a highly motivated team of writers, and work in a full time, remote position.
Our ideal candidate is adept at researching new topics, eager to learn, knowledgeable about SEO, and capable of creating unique content that caters to the target audience. We’re looking for a team player who constantly seeks to improve their writing skills, and is excited to work with a team of editors and project coordinators. You’ll be expected to apply feedback to your drafts to ensure that the content is free of factual and grammatical errors, easy to understand, and interesting to read.
Apart from submitting first drafts and completing revisions, your responsibilities will include attending weekly team meetings and brainstorming new content ideas. You must be a self-learner who can work asynchronously and adhere to deadlines. Excellent written communication skills are a must to succeed in this role.
- Create informative, valuable, engaging content on [list topics/niches]
- Write [insert number of words] daily and submit articles that have been carefully proofread and edited
- Conduct comprehensive research on your topics to ensure articles answer the readers’ questions
- Implement the provided keywords and keyword variations into your content
- Ensure that your articles follow our in-house writing guidelines
- Ensure consistency in format, tone, and brand voice
- Provide revisions based on editors’ feedback
- Confirm all written work is original, factual, and authentic
- Deliver articles within the established deadline
- Occasionally brainstorm, research and suggest new content ideas
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Creative Writing, or related fields
- Strong grasp of sentence structure and punctuation
- Proficiency in editing and proofreading
- Excellent time-management skills
- 1+ years of experience as a content writer
- Knowledge of APA or Chicago style guides
- Working knowledge of Google Docs/Microsoft Office Suite
Salary Ranges for Writers
Writers are responsible for creating, editing and organizing text in various formats. Since there are many kinds of writers that publish content on the web, their salaries differ. Salaries for writers can depend on factors like industry experience, company location, and type of employment contract. Here’s how the annual salary looks like for writers in different industries across the States according to Glassdoor.
|San Francisco, CA||$46,000||$78,000||$1,00,000|
|New York, NY||$37,000||$62,000||$1,00,000|
|Los Angeles, CA||$36,000||$62,000||$1,08,000|
|Tampa Bay, FL||$29,000||$45,000||$72,000|
Create the Best Writer Job Description Template Tailored To Your Needs
Businesses don’t just need writers, they need industry-specific writers. To avoid bottlenecks across your hiring funnel, customize the job description to reflect the needs of your organization. If you’re looking for a write for internal projects, mention the niche your company operates in. If you’re a content agency that provides articles to several clients, list the topics your new hire will be writing about. Highlight any other relevant skills and competencies, such as understanding of basic SEO principles and knowledge of WordPress if you expect your writers to upload the content as well.
In order to attract the best candidates, you should also talk about your company’s work culture, especially if you’re hiring for a fully remote position. Flexible working hours are one of the biggest benefits for professional writers. It won’t hurt to mention other perks you’re offering, such as paid time off, sick leave, bonuses, career advancement opportunities, and similar benefits.
Before customizing your Writer job description template, you should have a fair understanding about different writing roles.
Here’s how we differentiate writers based on their skills:
- Content Writers—Focus on long-form text that’s published on a website
- Copywriters—Curate short-form text used in marketing and advertising
- Academic Writers—Publish scholarly content for reports and essays
- Grant Writers—Create formal text that can be documented in proposals
- Technical Writers—Simplify complex, technical information on a subject matter
- Script Writers—Responsible for narrations in sitcoms, videos, tutorials etc
Find Similar Roles in Writing
This isn’t what you’re looking for? Recruit top talent with these job description templates for a writing role in the table below.
- Content Writer
- Medical Writer
- Course Writer
- Senior Writer
- SEO Writing
- Technical Writer
- Political Writer
- Business Writer
- Lifestyle Writer
Get Inspired From Our Favorite Writer Job Descriptions
The best job descriptions create transparency from the beginning—and they clarify company expectations. Here are some great job description examples of different writing positions from top recruitment channels:
Hiring Better, More Affordable Writers
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Senior Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.