Senior Writer Job Description
Here’s the Senior Writer job description template we used to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Copy the automated hiring funnel we built to find and hire better, more affordable writers—at scale.
Senior Writer Job Description Template
Our company is seeking an experienced Senior Writer to join our Content team. To be considered for the role, you must have at least 6 years of experience in content writing. While it’s not necessary to have experience in writing topics about [industry,] we expect you to be able to do research and deliver engaging and factually accurate articles quickly.
In this role, you will be in charge of writing more complex content independently. You will create high-quality content that consistently follows our stylistic guidelines and requires little editing once submitted.
Your articles will be the focus of our content production, and you need an advanced knowledge of SEO to excel in this role. Submit a portfolio when you apply.
As a member of our team, we will provide you with [list benefits].
- Research given topics efficiently
- Write high-quality articles independently and in a timely fashion
- Create error-free content that’s in line with our guidelines
- Use SEO practices to generate traffic
- Create a variety of content types, including blog articles, social media posts, and newsletters
- Help Junior Writers when necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or a related field is preferred
- 6+ years of experience in content writing
- Advanced knowledge of SEO
- Self-starter who can write independently and requires little help from Editors
- Experience in [industry] is a plus
- Basic knowledge of WordPress is a plus
- Ability to adapt your writing style between articles to meet stylistic demands
Salary Ranges for Senior Writer
Salaries for a Senior Writer vary based on a variety of factors, such as location, experience, contract length, employment type, and so on. According to Glassdoor, these are the average annual salaries for Senior Writers across the United States:
|San Francisco, CA||$77,000||$107,000||$147,000|
|New York, NY||$61,000||$92,000||$138,000|
|Los Angeles, CA||$53,000||$96,000||$172,000|
|Tampa Bay, FL||$32,000||$47,000||$69,000|
Customize Your Job Post To Reach the Best Senior Writers
When you write a job description, being vague about what you’re looking for will attract many unqualified candidates that will double or triple the duration of your hiring process and make talent acquisition costlier.
That’s why it’s important to customize the template and make it as specific as possible to deter unqualified applicants.
When you write a job description, you should specify all requirements you seek from your candidates, as well as every responsibility the new employee will have. This way, you will decrease the number of unwanted applicants, and the best candidates will know exactly what to expect.
If Senior Writer is not a role you’re exactly looking for, you should consider roles that sound similar but are essentially different, such as:
- Senior Copywriters—Create compelling copy that turns website visitors into customers. Senior Copywriters have extensive experience and create copy with high conversion rates
- Senior Technical Writers—Experienced with writing technical content such as documentation, user guides, and white papers. They have the knowledge of using complicated technical information and explaining it in simple terms
Similar Roles to Senior Writer
Looking for job descriptions for a similar role? Here are some of them:
- Course Writer
- Technical Writer
- Content Writer
- Social Media Copywriter
- SEO Writer
- Medical Writer
- Political Writer
- Content Creator
- Content Strategist
- Freelance Writer
Workello’s database contains job description templates for every role within your content team.
Our Favorite Senior Writer Job Descriptions
If you want to customize your job description even further and make it stand out, you can take a look at job descriptions from other companies and see how they go about it.
Here are a few of our favorite places to find job description examples for inspiration:
Hiring Better, More Affordable Senior Writers
Workello makes finding and hiring better, more affordable Senior Writers a breeze.
- Sign up for a free Workello account and launch your automated, pre-configured hiring funnel in less than 3 minutes
- Post your job ad across Monster, Indeed, LinkedIn, Facebook, ProBlogger, and all your other hiring channels and link to your Workello job ad
- Watch all of your candidates from all of your hiring channels stream into your Workello dashboard
- Reject, test, invite to interview, or send offers to writing candidates in one click
- Workello’s automated testing helps filter out bad candidates with good portfolios
- Every action you take in Workello triggers an automated email, moving candidates through your hiring process with less effort
- Every candidate has a live status page that tells them where they are in your hiring process and what to expect next—reducing transactional questions
Your job description, candidate emails, and automated tests are pre-configured—start accepting new writing candidates in less than 3 minutes.
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Senior Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.