Developmental Editor Job Description
Use the Developmental Editor job description template we built to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Building a content team? Join the largest Content Ops community (3,000+ members) on the internet.
Developmental Editor Job Description Template
We are looking for an experienced Developmental Editor! You will work with writers before publishing the content—enhancing the tone of voice, structure, style, sentence phrasing, and consistency in any aspect of the work. We expect you to review manuscripts in relation to the target audience, industry standards, and our style guidelines.
Our ideal candidate is both detail-oriented and capable of evaluating the text as a whole.
- Reviewing content outline and structure
- Working directly with writers by providing feedback on flow, style, logic, and overall consistency of the text
- Training authors to write better, restructure the content, and detect their own mistakes
- Communicating with other members of the company’s content team, including the publisher, development manager, and other content specialists
- Ensuring that the content matches the project plans and the expectations of the intended audience
- Previous experience with Development Editing is a must
- Solid understanding of current trends related to the particular content niche
- Excellent presentation and teaching/training skills
- Strong writing, editing, and project management skills
- Superior command of the Microsoft Office programs, Adobe Acrobat, and content management systems
- Verbal and written communication skills
Salary Ranges for Developmental Editors
Informing yourself about the local Developmental Editor earnings is crucial for establishing a fair employment relationship with your new team member. The salary is different in every company depending on the editor’s previous experience, knowledge level, employment type, and other vital factors.
If you want to include the estimated salary amount in your job description, here’s some valuable info related to salary ranges for this position according to Glassdoor:
|San Francisco, CA||$44,000||$70,000||$111,000|
|New York, NY||$47,000||$65,000||$91,000|
|Los Angeles, CA||$35,000||$61,000||$105,000|
|Tampa Bay, FL||$31,000||$49,000||$77,000|
Add Value to Your Developmental Editor Job Ad
Developmental Editors revise various types of manuscripts and written materials. Once you decide to write a job description for this position, ensure you state the exact field in which the applicants should be experienced. This way, you will reduce the number of unqualified candidates applying for the job.
You should also be aware of the differences between the Developmental Editor role and other similar positions, such as Senior Developmental Editors.
Senior Developmental Editors usually specialize in one specific sub-niche within the company’s field of operation. They are more experienced than regular Developmental Editors and usually oversee their activities.
Similar Roles to Developmental Editor
After hiring a Developmental Editor, you may realize that you need more members for your content team. If you are wondering what types of editors would make a great addition to the company, check out the table with useful job description templates below:
- Translation Editor
- Assistant Editor
- Coordinating Editor
- Specialist Editor
- Senior Editor
- Content Editor
- Web Editor
- Technical Editor
- Executive Editor
- Art Editor
- Contributing Editor
Get More Developmental Editor Job Descriptions Inspiration
To get an idea of how to customize your Developmental Editor job ad, you could review some existing job descriptions. We suggest you look for some great examples by exploring databases on:
Hire Developmental Editors the Right Way
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Political Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.