Assistant Editor Job Description
Use the Assistant Editor job description template we built to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Building a content team? Join the largest Content Ops community (3,000+ members) on the internet.
- Salary Ranges for Assistant Editor
- Do You Know the Exact Type of Assistant Editor You’re Looking For?
- Similar Roles to Assistant Editors
- Get More Assistant Editor Job Descriptions Inspiration
- Hiring Better, More Affordable Assistant Editors
- Want More Content About Creating Content?
Assistant Editor Job Description Template
We are looking for an enthusiastic Assistant Editor to contribute to our editorial team’s effort to develop well-written, accurate, and engaging content. You will work with our Managing Editor to ensure an optimized writing and publishing pipeline for all written content.
An ideal Assistant Editor will be ready to learn on the job everyday, shadowing the managing editor and assisting with all editorial tasks as necessary. You will perform first-round edits of drafts before they are brought to the Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief, assist writers with low-priority concerns, and actively develop your skills as an editor.
- Work directly with the Managing Editor to contribute to the success of our organization’s publishing initiatives
- Edit written content to ensure proper tone, spelling, grammar, and formatting
- Conduct supplementary research
- Interview subjects and sources for articles
- Fact-check and verify statements included in the content prior to publishing
- Select appropriate photography and artwork to accompany content when published
- Invest time in understanding our organization’s in-house style guidelines
- Write quickly and effectively to fill gaps in our content schedule if necessary
- Attend editorial meetings to take notes and contribute to ongoing discussions
- Bachelor’s degree or college diploma in English or a related subject
- Strong writing skills
- Experience in professional writing
- Portfolio with three samples of published writing
- Proficiency with document processing applications like Microsoft Word and Google Docs
Salary Ranges for Assistant Editor
As tracked by Glassdoor, Assistant Editor salaries can vary by more than $50,000. How much your Assistant Editor will expect in compensation depends on where your business is located and how much experience you expect in a candidate for the position.
Check out the table below for more details:
|San Francisco, CA||$38,000||$52,000||$71,000|
|New York, NY||$35,000||$49,000||$68,000|
|Los Angeles, CA||$34,000||$51,000||$78,000|
|Tampa Bay, FL||$33,000||$48,000||$71,000|
Do You Know the Exact Type of Assistant Editor You’re Looking For?
Given that there are many types of editor roles in the business world, there are just as many Assistant Editor roles. While they all share a generally lower level of necessary experience, the type of publication for which the job is posted can drastically change the requirements of applicants.
While English spelling and grammar tend to be consistent across different writing types, formatting and styles can vary greatly. Furthermore, the type of subject matter you deal with and the format your content usually takes will also dictate the type of candidate that best suits your company.
When writing your job description, you need to consider the exact needs of your business. The more specific you make your ad, the more qualified applicants it will attract.
Make sure your job description seeks candidates with experience at your type of publication and who are familiar with the subject matter you cover.
Similar Roles to Assistant Editors
At this point, you may have realized you don’t actually need an Assistant Editor. Find the right job description template in one of our other guides:
- Commerce Editor
- Metadata Editor
- Medical Editor
- Retail Editor
- Social Media Editor
- Editorial Intern
- Associate Editor
- Assignment Editor
- Quality Assurance Editor
- Content Editor
- Technical Editor
- Copy Editor
Get More Assistant Editor Job Descriptions Inspiration
One of the best ways to write a perfect job description is to review other examples. Check out the Assistant Editor ads from several well-known employment websites to get inspired:
Hiring Better, More Affordable Assistant Editors
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Political Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.