Specialist Editor Job Description
Here’s the Specialist Editor job description template we used to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Learn how we grew a startup backed by A16 from 0 to 1,000,000 / organics per month.
Specialist Editor Job Description Template
We are looking for an experienced Specialist Editor to join our company’s remote team of content experts. You will edit and proofread the brand’s written materials and verify the accuracy of the content by checking author sources. You will also assist the sales, marketing, and SEO teams with revising, editing, and rewriting content.
Our ideal candidate must specialize in [XYZ] industry with excellent writing and editing skills to review outlines and drafts for publication purposes. You should have an analytical mindset to position facts effectively in written materials. You must have strong interpersonal skills to provide consistent, constructive feedback.
To be successful in the role, you must have strong project management skills to organize, review, and publish specialized content within a predetermined timeline. You should also be comfortable using MS Office tools and Adobe Acrobat Professional and be proficient in CMS such as WordPress.
- Conduct high-quality editing by correcting grammatical, formatting, and stylistic errors based on the company’s guides and templates
- Provide corrective and positive feedback to writers that helps improve content quality and tone
- Determine KPIs for measuring commercial viability of content assets across various distribution channels (Facebook, LinkedIn, or Quora)
- Research topic ideas and create pitches that align with our business goals while staying up-to-date with publishing trends in the industry
- Oversee the creation and review of branded content for the company’s website and social media accounts
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or a related field
- Minimum 5+ years of editorial experience
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Proven ability to multitask and ensure timely deliverables
- Strong research skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Hemingway, and Grammarly
- Basic understanding of corporate literature (magazines, brochures, and letterheads)
- Experience in writing website content is a plus
Salary Ranges for Specialist Editors
Compensation for a Specialist Editor may depend on the employee’s experience and the type of content they’ll be reviewing. Here’s the average annual salary for this position across the States, according to Glassdoor:
|San Francisco, CA||$44,000||$69,000||$111,000|
|New York, NY||$43,000||$68,000||$111,000|
|Los Angeles, CA||$35,000||$60,000||$105,000|
|Tampa Bay, FL||$31,000||$49,000||$77,000|
Get Qualified Specialist Editors with a Customized Job Description
Specialist Editors work in various industries, which is why you must be super-specific while composing a job description for this role. While it’s easy to use our ready-made Specialist Editor job description template, you still need to provide more details about the duties and responsibilities. Doing so will help you avoid unqualified candidates in the earlier stages of your hiring funnel. A well-written job description will also attract candidates who have the required industry experience and are experts in their field.
Job titles for Specialist Editors can vary from company to company. You’ll come across different editorial roles that share the same tasks but have varying responsibilities, such as a Planning Editor, Supervising Editor, Deputy Editor, and similar roles. This is another reason why it’s important to craft a job post that caters to your company’s needs.
Similar Roles to Specialist Editor
If a Specialist Editor isn’t exactly what your company needs at the moment, check these job description templates for similar roles below:
- Retail Editor
- Multiplatform Copy Editor
- Social Media Editor
- Technical Editor
- Medical Copy Editor
- Assistant Editor
- Planning Editor
- Coordinating Editor
- Section Editor
- Subtitle Editor
- ESL Editor
- Research Editor
- Commerce Editor
- Podcast Editor
Get More Specialist Editor Job Description Inspiration
One of the best approaches to writing an effective job description is by checking job posts from leading brands. Find great job description examples for the Specialist Editor role on top recruitment boards, such as:
Hire Specialist Editors the Right Way
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Senior Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.