Remote Copy Editor Job Description
Get the Remote Copy Editor job description template we used to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Learn how Workello helps content teams hire higher quality, more affordable writers with less effort.
- Salary Ranges for Remote Copy Editors
- Customizing Your Remote Copy Editor Job Description To Suit Your Company’s Needs
- Similar Roles to Remote Copy Editors
- Get More Remote Copy Editor Job Descriptions Inspiration
- Hiring Better, More Affordable Remote Copy Editors
- Want More Content About Creating Content?
Remote Copy Editor Job Description Template
We are looking for a Remote Copy Editor to join our Editorial team and edit copy written by our copywriters. To be considered for this role, you need to have at least 3+ years of experience in an editing role, preferably copy editing.
When editing copy, you will need to ensure there are no grammatical, formatting, or stylistic errors. You will seek ways to enhance the selling power of the copy and make sure there is consistency in messaging and brand voice.
To make sure our copy is free of any factual errors and represents our products accurately, you will consult with different departments within the company.
This is a remote position and requires you to be able to work independently.
If you join our company, you will receive [list benefits].
- Edit copy for grammatical, stylistic, and formatting errors
- Improve copy by suggesting more impactful CTAs, power words, and engaging headlines
- Communicate with other departments to ensure everything is factually correct
- Provide feedback to copywriters and suggest areas of improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in Writing, English or a relevant field
- 3+ years of experience in an editing role
- Experience in editing copy is a plus
- Portfolio of previous work
- Stable internet connection
- Ability to work with a globally-based team of writers and editors
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with different teams
- Attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Salary Ranges for Remote Copy Editors
Salaries for Remote Copy Editors vary widely based on a variety of factors, such as location, work experience, education, employment type, and so on.
Here is an overview of the differences between Remote Copy Editors’ salaries across the United States, according to Glassdoor:
City Entry-Level Median Top 10%
San Francisco, CA $42,000 $63,000 $94,000
New York, NY $39,000 $60,000 $90,000
Seattle, WA $32,000 $49,000 $76,000
Dallas, TX $37,000 $57,000 $89,000
Los Angeles, CA $37,000 $58,000 $90,000
Portland, OR $38,000 $58,000 $90,000
Austin, TX $33,000 $48,000 $69,000
Atlanta, GA $32,000 $53,000 $88,000
Nashville, TN $32,000 $46,000 $68,000
Tampa Bay, FL $33,000 $48,000 $71,000
Customizing Your Remote Copy Editor Job Description To Suit Your Company’s Needs
To reduce the number of unwanted applicants, you need to write a job description that goes into detail about the role itself. You need to be as specific as possible when it comes to the responsibilities and the requirements of the role. This will define the role, and candidates will know what to expect and whether they’re qualified for the job or not.
You should also highlight any benefits you offer to your future employee to entice the best Copy Editors to choose your company over someone else’s.
Being specific with your job description includes the title also. Several roles are similar to Remote Copy Editor but are essentially different, such as:
- Freelance Copy Editor—While the duties can overlap with those of a Remote Copy Editor, a freelance position will mostly attract a professional who works independently as a non-staff unlike a remote position
- Remote Content Editor—Edits content which focus is not to sell a product/service or entice someone to commit a desirable action but to generate web traffic. It focuses on SEO principles
Using the proper title will let your applicants know what candidate profile you’re looking for.
Similar Roles to Remote Copy Editors
Not sure if a Remote Copy Editor fully satisfies your organization’s needs? Check out templates for other roles similar to this one:
- Chief Editor
- Assignment Editor
- Developmental Editor
- Managing Editor
- Assistant Editor
- Academic Journal Editor
- Editorial Assistant
- Content Editor
- Magazine Editors
- Metadata Editor
- Commerce Editor
- Digital Editor
- Production Editor
- Editorial Intern
You can use our database to find job description templates for any role related to producing both content and copy.
Get More Remote Copy Editor Job Descriptions Inspiration
Not sure how to present your company within your job description? A good way to find inspiration is to take a look at how other companies hiring Remote Copy Editors do it.
Use the following websites to find many great Remote Copy Editor job description examples:
Hiring Better, More Affordable Remote Copy Editors
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Senior Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.