Medical Editor Job Description
Here’s the Medical Editor job description template we used to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Copy the automated hiring funnel we built to find and hire better, more affordable writers—at scale.
Medical Editor Job Description Template
We are looking for a highly skilled and motivated Medical Editor to edit and proofread written medical materials, such as web pages, articles, technical documentation, and similar, for grammar, vocabulary, punctuation, flow, and clarity.
You will be in charge of managing a team of Medical Writers to help them create engaging content. Your main duties include editing, fact-checking, and controlling the quality and accuracy of content before it’s published, making sure all team members meet deadlines, and rewriting old content when necessary.
To be considered for this role, you must have a medical or science background and at least 5 years of experience working as a Medical Writer or Editor. A bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Medicine, or Science is considered a plus. Excellent editing skills and a keen eye for detail are a must.
- Edit articles, web pages, blog posts, and other written medical materials for grammar, flow, accuracy, punctuation, and clarity
- Manage a team of Medical Writers and make sure everyone meets their deadlines
- Create style guidelines and content briefs when necessary
- Make sure all content meets our style guidelines and follows SEO practices
- Provide constructive feedback to Writers
- Review and rewrite or update published content if necessary
- 5+ years of experience as a Medical Editor or in a similar role
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Medicine, or Science
- Excellent editing skills
- Superb communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Basic knowledge of SEO practices
Salary Ranges for Medical Editors
Salary ranges for Medical Editors vary depending on their educational background, years of experience, regional cost of living, current demand for the position, and many other factors.
According to Glassdoor, here’s how a Medical Editor’s average yearly income varies across the United States:
|San Francisco, CA||$68,000||$92,000||$116,000|
|New York, NY||$65,000||$89,000||$111,000|
|Los Angeles, CA||$61,000||$83,000||$105,000|
|Tampa Bay, FL||$52,000||$70,000||$88,000|
How To Attract the Perfect Medical Editor With Your Job Ad
Writing a vague job ad will make your search for ideal candidates more challenging. You will probably receive a myriad of applications from underqualified candidates and waste hours reviewing them.
If you want to attract highly qualified applicants only, you need to be as specific as possible when writing your job ad. Make sure to include all day-to-day tasks the future employer will perform, emphasize the exact skills they should have, and specify the required experience and level of education.
Similar Roles to Medical Editors
Not sure whether a Medical Editor is the right role for your company? Consult the table below to find job description templates for similar roles:
- Academic Journal Editor
- Content Editor
- Copy Editor
- Quality Assurance Editor
- Assistant Editor in a Scientific Journal
- Technical Editor
- Technical Writer and Editor
- Developmental Editor
- Medical Transcription Quality Assurance Editor
- Executive Editor
Our Favorite Medical Editor Job Descriptions
If you want to write a compelling job ad and attract ideal candidates, you need to emphasize what makes your brand unique and what benefits you offer to your employers. If you’re not sure how to do so, you should consult the following websites and check out a few job description examples to see how other companies promote themselves:
Hiring Better, More Affordable Medical Editors
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Senior Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.