Digital Content Director Job Description
Use the Digital Content Director job description template we built to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Building a content team? Join the largest Content Ops community (3,000+ members) on the internet.
- Salary Ranges for Digital Content Directors
- Create a Digital Content Director Job Description That Works For Your Company
- Similar Roles to Digital Content Director
- Get More Digital Content Director Job Descriptions Inspiration
- Hiring Better, More Affordable Digital Content Directors
- Want More Content About Creating Content?
Digital Content Director Job Description Template
We are looking for an experienced Digital Content Director to establish the company’s strategic direction and long-term content goals, develop policies and processes for content creation and publishing, oversee the implementation of content strategies, and monitor the success of our content campaigns.
You will be leading a team of digital marketing experts and working in a full-time, remote position.
As the Digital Content Director, you will be overseeing the development and execution of our content marketing campaigns, interpreting web analytics, and optimizing our digital infrastructure and processes to reliably achieve business goals. Our ideal candidate must have 5+ years of managerial experience with the ability to establish strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Dynamic personality, a process-driven mindset, and strong leadership skills are a must.
- Conceptualize, develop, and oversee the implementation of digital advertising campaigns to increase brand awareness, drive qualified traffic, and boost sales
- Provide leadership and direction to the Marketing and Design team by establishing content goals and developing guidelines, strategies, policies, and processes
- Establish brand guidelines, core messaging, and tone of voice for our content
- Manage [company name] staff, project timelines, and digital marketing budget
- Maximize the effectiveness of our digital marketing efforts through efficient use of email marketing, SEO, SEM, SMO, and paid advertising
- Perform thorough market research and competitive analysis to identify industry trends and best practices and apply them to our content marketing strategy
- Analyze the performance of our digital marketing initiatives, generate detailed reports, and identify areas for improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in Advertising, Digital Media, or related field
- Excellent written, communication and presentation skills
- 5+ years experience managing a team of content marketing specialists
- Proficiency in various digital marketing and analytics tools, such as Google Analytics, Facebook Business Manager, autoresponders, etc.
- Extensive knowledge of social media marketing
- Knowledge of SEO/SEM, CRM software, and Google Analytics
- Working knowledge of various project management tools, such as [choose relevant: Basecamp, Trello, Jira, Asana, Airtable, Wrike, Hive, Workzone, etc.]
- Solution-oriented mindset with strong leadership and project management skills
Salary Ranges for Digital Content Directors
Digital Content Directors can work remotely but the position may require occasional travel, depending on company needs. Certain factors affect the salaries of Digital Content Directors like the company location, industry experience, and type of employment contract. Here are the salary ranges of Digital Content Directors across the States according to Glassdoor:
|San Francisco, CA||$63,000||$1,08,000||$1,88,000|
|New York, NY||$74,000||$1,15,000||$1,78,000|
|Los Angeles, CA||$66,000||$1,38,000||$2,88,000|
Create a Digital Content Director Job Description That Works For Your Company
It is necessary to create a comprehensive job description that describes the activities of a Digital Content Director in great detail, if you want to attract and hire an expert that’s a perfect fit for your organization. The best job posts effectively distinguish executive roles from managerial roles in their descriptions with clearly defined responsibilities and requirements.
Since the position demands strategic decision-makers, the experience and skills needed to succeed in this role may vary from industry to industry. The digital strategy of a B2C e-commerce brand will be vastly different from that of a B2B SaaS company. That’s why you should clearly state what industry your organization operates in and highlight the fact that you prefer candidates with previous experience in the same niche.
It’s vital to understand that template is just a starting point; a framework that you can use as a basis of your job ad. If you don’t customize it according to your organization’s needs, you’ll waste time going through dozens of applications from unqualified candidates.
Here are some elements that you need to customize when crafting your Digital Content Director job description:
- Number of reporting managers
- Technical skills needed for the role
- Required industry-specific knowledge and experience
- Level of advertising experience
- Proficiency with different project management and analytics tools
- Working knowledge of different project management methodologies (Agile, Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
- Core competencies
Similar Roles to Digital Content Director
Building a content team for the first time? Find the best job description templates for similar roles in digital content management:
- Content Management Analyst
- Content Director
- Communications Content Manager
- Marketing Director
- Chief Content Officer
- Content Manager
- Content Operations Manager
- Head of Content
- Editorial Director
- Content Strategy Director
Get More Digital Content Director Job Descriptions Inspiration
To help you get started with your job post, here are some of our favorite job description examples for a Digital Content Director role from the best recruitment channels:
Hiring Better, More Affordable Digital Content Directors
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Senior Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.