Head Writer Job Description Template
We are seeking an experienced Head Writer to become the leader of our Writing team.
To be considered for this role, you need to submit a portfolio of published articles, as well as have at least 3 years of experience in a leading role.
As our Head Writer, you will be in charge of delegating articles to Writers and ensuring there is no backlog in publishing content. You will collaborate with our Content Specialists on choosing topics and developing writing guidelines.
You will also need to create article templates and take on the most difficult and the most important articles yourself. While you won’t deal with editing other Writers’ work, you will need to review it and offer feedback to our Writers.
When necessary, you will create content yourself to help maintain the workflow.
This position also entails reviewing sample writings from Writer candidates during our hiring process.
Aside from the compensation, you’ll also receive [list benefits].
- Set up writing schedules and assign topics to Writers
- Collaborate with SEO Specialists on topic choice and stylistic guidelines
- Write templates and tackle the most challenging articles
- Review Writers’ articles and offer feedback
- Organize online meetings with the Writing team
- Be involved with the hiring process for new Writers
- Create additional content when necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communication, or a related field
- 6+ years of Content Writing experience
- 3+ years in a leading role
- Exceptional communication and leadership skills
- Exceptional writing skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to provide constructive criticism
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
Salary Ranges for Head Writer
A Head Writer’s salary depends on many factors, such as their level of expertise, location, educational background, portfolio, and skill set.
According to Glassdoor, the average annual salaries of Head Writers in various states in the U.S. are as follows:
|San Francisco, CA||$44,000||$79,000||$143,000|
|New York, NY||$38,000||$65,000||$111,000|
|Los Angeles, CA||$34,000||$61,000||$112,000|
|Tampa Bay, FL||$32,000||$47,000||$69,000|
Customize Your Head Writer Job Description To Attract the Best Candidates
Whenever you post a job ad, you’ll always receive dozens of applications from unqualified candidates—that’s unavoidable. What you can do is impact their number and reduce them significantly.
The way to do this is to write a job description that goes into great detail about the position you’re offering. You need to mention all criteria that candidates need to meet to be considered, as well as every responsibility your new employee will have.
When it becomes clear to a candidate that they’re underqualified, most of them will get discouraged and won’t apply, making your hiring process faster and less expensive.
Similar Roles to Head Writer
Head Writer not exactly what you’re looking for? Check out the following roles that may be a better fit for your company:
- Head of Content
- Lead Editor
- Video Game Writer
- Editorial Writer
- Senior Writer
- Radio Copywriter
- Entertainment Writer
- Executive Writer
- Senior Copywriter
- Arts and Entertainment Writer
Take a look at our comprehensive database of job description templates for every role on your content team!
Get More Head Writer Job Descriptions Inspiration
If you want to customize your job description and present your company in a better light, you can find inspiration in job descriptions from other companies and see how they went about it.
Check out the following platforms to find many job description examples you can take inspiration from:
Hire Qualified Head Writers Faster
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Senior Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.