Subject Matter Expert Online Editor Job Description
Get the Subject Matter Expert Online Editor job description template we used to scale a content team to 45 writers and Editors. Learn how Workello helps content teams hire higher quality, more affordable writers with less effort.
- Salary Ranges for Subject Matter Expert Online Editors
- Customize Your Job Ad to the Type of Subject Matter Expert Online Editor You Need
- Similar Roles to Subject Matter Expert Online Editors
- Get More Subject Matter Expert Online Editor Job Descriptions Inspiration
- Hire Qualified Subject Matter Expert Online Editors Faster
- Want More Content About Creating Content?
Subject Matter Expert Online Editor Job Description Template
We are looking for a Subject Matter Expert Online Editor to help us develop and implement our content strategy.
You will monitor and assess the outcomes of the published material to improve the subject matter content on our website.
This job includes assigning topics to our writers based on our readers’ interests and thus developing valuable content for our audience.
An ideal candidate has excellent writing and editing skills and vast knowledge of the niches we cover.
- Create effective digital content aligned with our content strategy
- Keep our website visitors informed by regularly posting fresh and engaging material
- Collect and analyze data and use the results to improve our online content
- Define and assign topics by keeping track of published stories and noting subjects that generate the most traffic
- Keep up to date with the industry trends and news to adjust the messages to our audience accordingly
- Edit the created content before posting it to ensure consistency and high-quality
- 2+ years of experience in Editorial positions for websites
- Experience in generating and editing online content
- Experience working with social media and blogging is an advantage
- Profound knowledge of the industry
- A thorough understanding of how a website functions
- Knowledge of CMS platforms, SEO, and HTML
- Excellent writing, editing, and organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or a related field is preferred
Salary Ranges for Subject Matter Expert Online Editors
Salaries for Subject Matter Expert Online Editors vary based on the candidate’s education, experience, and current employment status.
To allocate an adequate amount, take a look at the average annual salary for the Online Editor role across the USA, according to Glassdoor:
City Entry-Level Median Top 10%
San Francisco, CA $44,000 $69,700 $111,000
New York, NY $39,000 $64,700 $107,000
Seattle, WA $42,000 $66,300 $106,000
Dallas, TX $26,000 $45,000 $77,000
Los Angeles, CA $31,000 $64,700 $136,000
Portland, OR $40,000 $57,300 $81,000
Austin, TX $35,000 $55,500 $87,000
Atlanta, GA $36,000 $58,400 $96,000
Nashville, TN $36,000 $50,500 $70,000
Tampa Bay, FL $31,000 $49,000 $77,000
Customize Your Job Ad to the Type of Subject Matter Expert Online Editor You Need
When drafting a job description, you should clearly state what niche your new Subject Matter Expert Online Editor will cover. Be precise about the topics your writers write about and say that you are looking for an Editor with extensive experience in that specific niche.
By being super-specific in your job ad, you will attract candidates that are the best fit for your company. At the same time, unqualified candidates will determine they do not fulfill the required criteria. It will save you a lot of time going through countless weak resumes.
To be specific and transparent, you should get familiar with similar roles (and avoid a mix-up). Here are some:
- E-commerce Editor—This type of Editor is in charge of developing, editing, and refining content to boost e-commerce sales and profit
- Legal Editor—Legal Editors ensure all written materials meet the requirements of the company
- Medical Editor—This Editor checks medical content for consistency, flow, and clarity by minimizing poor phrasing and language that is inappropriate for the target audience
Similar Roles to Subject Matter Expert Online Editors
In case you are still hesitant about who to hire for your Editorial team, use these job description templates to make up your mind:
- Commerce Editor
- Editorial Project Manager
- Research Editor
- ESL Editor
- Retail Editor
- Podcast Editor
- Production Editor
- Financial Editor
- Fashion Editor
- Multiplatform Copy Editor
Get More Subject Matter Expert Online Editor Job Descriptions Inspiration
To make your job ad attractive for seasoned professionals, you should investigate what other businesses put in their descriptions.
This way, you can check whether you have listed everything in your advert. Here are some excellent job description examples you can use to perfect your ad:
Hire Qualified Subject Matter Expert Online Editors Faster
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Senior Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.