Digital Editor Job Description
Here’s the Digital Editor job description template we used to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Copy the automated hiring funnel we built to find and hire better, more affordable writers—at scale.
- Digital Editor Job Responsibilities
- Digital Editor Job Requirements
- Salary Ranges for Digital Editors
- Writing a More Specific Digital Editor Job Ad Works Better Than Copy/Paste
- Similar Roles to Digital Editor
- Get More Digital Editor Job Descriptions Inspiration
- Hiring Better, More Affordable Digital Editors
- Want More Content About Creating Content?
Digital Editor Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a new Digital Editor to work in tandem with our talented content creators and ensure that the content we publish is impeccable. Your primary tasks in this position will involve creating a content plan with the help of the marketing team, assigning new tasks to writers, and editing the submitted articles. You will also work closely with other experts, such as photographers, illustrators, or graphic/web designers, on preparing the supplementary graphic content for digital publications. Besides strong editing and proofreading skills, experience in creating digital/social media content is a must.
Digital Editor Job Responsibilities
- Proofreading and editing written content for spelling, grammatical, and factual errors and providing constructive feedback to our writers
- Generating compelling content ideas along with other team members
- Formatting articles and additional publication materials, including photos, sounds, videos, and illustrations
- Revising the content for correctness, clarity, flow, and tone of voice
- Improving text quality by implementing search engine optimization (SEO) best practices
- Delegating writing assignments to our content creators
- Monitoring writers to ensure they meet the proposed deadlines
- Scheduling content publication
Digital Editor Job Requirements
- Proven working experience as an Editor or Digital Editor for at least two years
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Digital Media & Journalism, or any other relevant field
- Master degree in the above-mentioned fields is considered a plus
- Flawless writing and editing skills and an eye for detail
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- In-depth knowledge of social media and [specific digital platforms of interest]
- Familiarity with SEO practices and tools
- Working knowledge of MS Office and WordPress
Salary Ranges for Digital Editors
Determining the salary amount for a Digital Editor is another crucial task to do before posting your job ad. You must consider several factors—from experience level and location to the type of employment contract and education. To see how much Digital Editors earn in various U.S. areas according to Glassdoor, check out the following table:
|San Francisco, CA||$44,000||$70,000||$111,000|
|New York, NY||$49,000||$71,000||$103,000|
|Los Angeles, CA||$40,000||$61,000||$92,000|
|Tampa Bay, FL||$31,000||$49,000||$77,000|
Writing a More Specific Digital Editor Job Ad Works Better Than Copy/Paste
To get the best candidates for the Digital Editor position, you must be as specific as possible when crafting a job description. While you might be tempted to just copy-paste our template, that’s not enough to guarantee that you’ll attract qualified candidates. Unless you specify the exact requirements for the role and tasks a Digital Editor will perform in your company, you’ll receive dozens of applications from candidates whose competencies don’t match the position you are offering.
If you’re not sure how to fine-tune the template to make it more aligned with your company, here’s some valuable advice that will help you make your job ad more appealing to qualified candidates:
- List all types of digital content your Digital Editor needs to edit—If, besides articles, you need photos, animations, or any other type of content, you should specify it in your job ad. If you don’t do it, your job description may attract many people that only know how to edit text but aren’t proficient in creating or editing other content forms
- State the topics that should be covered by your Digital Editor—They mainly depend on the field your company operates within. To be able to efficiently edit content on a particular topic, the candidate needs to have experience in that industry. If there are multiple topics you want them to cover, make sure the job description contains this information
- Add more details about your company—Apart from listing the requirements for the role, you also need to attract the best candidates by showing them why you’re a great place to work. List perks, benefits, bonuses, learning & career advancement opportunities, etc.
Similar Roles to Digital Editor
Do you think that another similar role would fit your content team better than a Digital Editor? If yes, we offer various job description templates to assist you in writing a proper job ad for related positions. Check them out in the table below:
- Planning Editor
- Social Media Editor
- Subtitle Editor
- Managing Editor
- Production Editor
- Technical Editor
- Developmental Editor
- Online Editor
- E-commerce Editor
- Content Editor
- Supervising Editor
- Digital Art Editor
- Metadata Editor
- Specialist Editor
- Contributing Editor
- Coordinating Editor
Get More Digital Editor Job Descriptions Inspiration
The easiest way to add value to your job ads and make candidates apply for the position you are offering is to learn from the best. Many renowned companies write excellent job descriptions that can inspire you to be more creative and specific when composing yours. If you are looking for the best job description examples, find them on:
Hiring Better, More Affordable Digital Editors
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Senior Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.