Social Media Content Manager Job Description
Here’s the Social Media Content Manager job description template we used to scale a content team to 45 writers and editors. Learn how we grew a startup backed by A16 from 0 to 1,000,000 / organics per month.
- Salary Ranges for Social Media Content Managers
- Customizing Your Social Media Content Manager Job Ad Is the Key to Hiring the Best Candidate
- Similar Roles to Social Media Content Manager
- Get More Social Media Content Manager Job Description Inspiration
- Hire Social Media Content Managers the Right Way
- Want More Content About Creating Content?
Social Media Content Manager Job Description Template
We are looking for a Social Media Content Manager to lead our content team and create content strategies for a variety of projects and social media platforms. Your core responsibilities will be to analyze target audiences and decide on the topics we will be covering, communicate with other departments, and provide an additional pair of eyes on edited content to ensure that the planned deliverables are flawless and in agreement with brand guidelines. As a Social Media Content Manager, your duties will include finding ways to drive traffic through content marketing and social media and engaging with influencers on different platforms.
We are looking for professionals with significant experience in content production and/or using social media, such as Facebook, TikTok, and Instagram, for digital marketing. You should have extensive knowledge and experience in search engine optimization (SEO) and social media optimization (SMO) to make sure every piece of content ranks well on all platforms and drives users into conversion.
- Managing content output and social media accounts of our company and/or clients
- Assisting in developing strategies with the rest of our marketing department
- Analyzing trends and target audiences (how much they use social media in comparison to other publishing channels)
- Implementing SEO and SMO optimization
- Providing input on edited content and writing templates
- Increasing company visibility on social media by interacting with collaborators and influencers to establish partnerships and target particular consumer groups
- Managing budgets for social media advertising and creating ROI reports on a monthly basis
- Growing our social media communities
- Attending company meetings and communicating with other creative departments to ensure consistent company representation
- At least a bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Marketing, English, Communications, or similar fields
- At least 3 years of experience in writing and editing, and at least 1 in management
- Impeccable writing and grammar skills
- Deep interest in the constantly changing social media algorithms
- Extensive knowledge of social media platforms
- Experience using analytics tools, such as Facebook Insights and Google Analytics
Salary Ranges for Social Media Content Managers
Salaries for Social Media Content Managers usually depend on candidates’ location and the responsibilities they bear. According to Glassdoor, Social Media Content Managers in the U.S. usually earn the following amounts:
City Entry-Level Median Top 10%
San Francisco, CA $70,000 $107,000 $164,000
New York, NY $53,000 $93,000 $163,000
Seattle, WA $50,000 $79,000 $125,000
Dallas, TX $44,000 $82,000 $152,000
Los Angeles, CA $48,000 $80,000 $130,000
Austin, TX $48,000 $79,000 $129,000
Atlanta, GA $58,000 $87,000 $136,000
Nashville, TN $45,000 $73,000 $119,000
Customizing Your Social Media Content Manager Job Ad Is the Key to Hiring the Best Candidate
Although writing detailed and specialized job descriptions will narrow down your pool of candidates, the most qualified applicants will remain—it’s them you want to interview and hire. If you wish to receive better applications, you must provide more details in the ad—explain the specifics of the position in your company and state the exact skills that your ideal candidate should possess.
If your company’s content output and social media activities exceed the capabilities of one person, you can consider splitting the Social Media Content Manager role and hire people with extensive knowledge and expertise in more specific areas.
Here are some examples of how the Social Media Content Manager role can be replaced with more specific ones:
- Social Media Manager—This role’s responsibilities include managing their company’s or client’s social media profiles, interacting with the community, and analyzing activity statistics to produce reports that the rest of the marketing team will use to create future strategies
- Content Manager—This person is responsible for developing content strategies (that are not necessarily targeting social media only), updating outdated content, and discovering and suggesting future content marketing opportunities
Similar Roles to Social Media Content Manager
Are you reconsidering your need for a Social Media Content Manager? The following table contains job description templates for roles that are similar but that could potentially fit better in your existing team:
- Social Media Content Coordinator
- Editorial Director
- Content Manager
- Social Media Content Creator
- Editorial Manager
- Social Media Content Strategist
- Content Marketing Associate
- Content Operations Manager
- Content Delivery Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Social Media Editor
- Social Media Content Review Analyst
- Social Media Marketing Coordinator
- Social Media Copywriter
- Brand Manager
- Content Marketing Manager
Get More Social Media Content Manager Job Description Inspiration
Writing attractive and persuasive job descriptions doesn’t have to be difficult, and it isn’t if you get inspiration from the best job description examples on the job market. For more ideas, check out similar job ads on the most popular job board websites:
Hire Social Media Content Managers the Right Way
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Senior Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.