- Salary Ranges for Freelance Copywriters
- Why It’s Important To Tailor Your Freelance Copywriter Job Ad
- Similar Roles To Freelance Copywriter
- Get More Freelance Copywriter Job Descriptions Inspiration
- Hire Freelance Copywriters the Right Way
- Want More Content About Creating Content?
Freelance Copywriter Job Description Template
We are looking for an experienced Freelance Copywriter to create engaging and effective promotional materials for our internal and client-based projects. The desired candidate will demonstrate mastery in creating copy for various marketing channels and multiple audiences, such as website copy, print ads, catalogs, email newsletters, and product descriptions that reliably convert website visitors into paid customers and drive sales.
Working as a freelance copywriter at [company name], you will create powerful, engaging, creative copy for a variety of projects [list projects, topics, or niches], and will collaborate with our marketing and design team to ensure the right message is properly conveyed to the target audience and that the final product (email, landing page, banner, ad) aligns perfectly with our/our client’s brand.
Our ideal candidate is a quick learner with previous marketing experience and [industry] knowledge, and is able to work asynchronously without being micromanaged. We expect you to proofread and edit the copy before submitting, to ensure that every deliverable you create is 100% factually and grammatically correct, and in line with our company’s or client’s guidelines.
- Understand the target audience’s pain points and use them to sell product/service benefits and drive conversions
- Follow internal and client-based writing guidelines to ensure consistency in style, branding, and tone of voice
- Adapt the writing style to different target audiences and publishing platforms the copy will be used for (emails, websites, newsletters, e-commerce stores)
- Proofread and edit their copy for style, clarity, grammar, and punctuation
- Submit all work within agreed-upon deadlines
- Has at least a bachelor’s degree in English or Marketing
- Has at least 1 year of experience in writing
- Uses English as their native language or has near-native proficiency
- Is well-versed in social media and has an excellent track record of running social campaigns
- Has at least 1 year of experience in copywriting
- Has exceptional self-managing and organizational skills
Salary Ranges for Freelance Copywriters
The salary of a Freelance Copywriter depends on the amount and type of content they deliver, the company’s location, their experience level, and various other circumstances.
According to Glassdoor, these are the average salaries for Freelance Copywriters across the United States:
City Entry-Level Median Top 10%
San Francisco, CA $48,000 $80,000 $135,000
New York, NY $54,000 $95,000 $168,000
Seattle, WA $40,000 $64,000 $103,000
Dallas, TX $41,000 $61,000 $91,000
Los Angeles, CA $37,000 $86,000 $201,000
Portland, OR $43,000 $67,000 $106,000
Austin, TX $41,000 $63,000 $98,000
Atlanta, GA $41,000 $61,000 $91,000
Nashville, TN $36,000 $53,000 $77,000
Tampa Bay, FL $36,000 $50,000 $68,000
Why It’s Important To Tailor Your Freelance Copywriter Job Ad
Excellent Freelance Copywriters can effectively jump between different client projects and deliver engaging copy that converts regardless of the industry/topic. That said, larger companies with more clients will need specialized copywriters to maintain the quality and quantity of their work, which is why you should evaluate your company’s needs carefully before writing the job ad.
Job ads for general roles are tied to larger hiring costs due to the greater number of candidates that require application reviews and testing.
For example, you will have more candidates apply to your job ad if you posted it for a Freelance Copywriter than if you said you were looking for a:
When writing a job description, you should also include:
- Preferred fields of specialization (via educational background or work experience)
- Requirements such as knowledge of particular writing styles (for example, scientific and technical documents require the use of special styles)
Detailed job descriptions deter unqualified candidates from applying, which in return cuts down on hiring costs and reduces the time necessary to interview them all.
How To Entice Highly-Qualified Candidates to Apply
You want to present your company as the best place for a Freelance Copywriter to kickstart their career. To achieve that, you should mention everything that would make your company stand out on a job marketplace, such as:
- Benefits, such as health insurance
- Team buildings
- 4-day work weeks
- Flexible work hours
Similar Roles To Freelance Copywriter
If your projects require you to hire roles that specialize in different niches (unlike a Freelance Copywriter) you should know your options. The table below contains more specific Freelance Copywriter roles that might be a better fit for your team:
- Beauty Copywriter
- Direct Marketing Copywriter
- Junior Copywriter
- Conversion Copywriter
- Social Media Copywriter
- Radio Copywriter
- Copywriter Intern
- B2B Copywriter
- Pharmaceutical Copywriter
- Content Writer
- Senior Copywriter
Writing roles aren’t the only ones we can help you with. Our knowledge base contains many more job description templates you can use to expand your team.
Get More Freelance Copywriter Job Descriptions Inspiration
Before you post your job ad, check out the job description examples from other companies to hire the best Freelance Copywriters via:
Hire Freelance Copywriters the Right Way
Workello helps content teams hire better writers more consistently.
- Sign up for Workello
- Confirm your pre-optimized job description, writing assessment, and candidate notifications
- Distribute your Workello job ad across your favorite hiring channels
- Watch candidates stream into your Workello dashboard
- Send pre-hire assessments to promising candidates in one-click
Sign up now and send 5 automated writing tests to Senior Writer candidates for free.
Want More Content About Creating Content?
Our team has built and led a forty five person content team. Learn what we’ve learned.